*Below are written instructions. Here is a link to the instruction video for further explanation:
Hello, we would like to invite you to join the First Baptist Church of Joplin Virtual Choir! We will be singing “The Blessing” by Kari Jobe for this project. There are many different versions of the song, so we will attach a “reference track” to this letter. This track includes a lyric video. You will use this track to practice with, and you will also watch and listen to this track while you are recording yourself. Here is the link to the reference track.
For this project you will need 2 devices, we will refer to these devices as Device A & Device B.
You will use this device as a reference. You will watch and listen to the reference track on this device while you record so that you are able to stay on track. This device needs to be something that you can plug earbuds into. We recommend using earbuds rather than headphones so that it is less distracting.
You will use this device to record yourself. It is important that this device is only used for recording, not for the reference track as well. We should not be able to hear the reference track in your recording; it should only be in your ears.
Tips for recording:
- Prop your device up, don’t try to hold it. This will allow for the video of yourself to be stable.
- Have the camera about one inch above your eyes, this is the best angle for filming. Try to avoid having to look down to be able to see the camera. You want to be able to sit up straight and look straight ahead at the camera while recording.
- If possible, use natural lighting. We recommend placing your recording device on a window sill and facing the window as you record. If you are using natural lighting, turn off all other lighting. If natural window lighting is not possible, sit in a well-lit room, and try to avoid shadows and/or glares.
- Make sure that your entire head is in the camera shot, and that you are close enough to the camera so that you can be heard.
Beginning the Video
At the beginning of the video, you will hear 8 metronome clicks. On the 8th click, you will need to clap as loudly as you can. This will allow us to line up all of the recordings better.
(example: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, clap)
Turning in your video:
If you have an iPhone, please submit your video through text. You may text Austin at 832-285-2761. If you do not have an iPhone, you can email your video to email@example.com.
- You are welcome to record your video as many times as you would like in order to get a video that you are pleased with. The first time that you play back your video, you will most likely be unsettled. This is completely normal. As long as you are on pitch, your video will sound fabulous once it is combined with the rest of the music and voices.
- If you are able to and would like to sing a harmony part, you may do so starting at the second chorus. Please sing melody until that point.
- We would also like to encourage you to have your kids sing with you on the bridge (“May His favor be upon you…”)
Thank you very much for being a part of this project! We are looking forward to the final product and we are excited to see God work through this!